Sunday, August 13, 2006

Home Again.

It's always hard leaving the beach, but when we get home it's good to be here. Picked up the pup from the kennel and, boy, was he glad to see us! Sure, increase my already immense guilt about leaving him. I didn't get as much knitting done as I thought I would this past week since macrame "surfer" bracelets and necklaces were very much in demand by the boys. The boys were too cool for words, hanging on the beach with their guitars and playing for a crowd of teens. They had a great time and #2's GF managed to get down for a couple of days. Summer down the shore hasn't changed much from when I was a teenager.
But I did finish my first M-D dishcloth and start another. I wanted something fun and mindless and it's easy to remember the pattern in a short while. The colors certainly don't go with my kitchen, but I love the bright summery cottons. And I am a scrubber sponge girl, but I may just have to give dishrags a try.
I also finished knitting the "bumblebee clutch" I am designing. Now I just have to sew the bottom seam, add an I-cord around the opening and felt it. The flap will be solid yellow and I made a little bee to felt and use as a decoration, but I haven't figured out the wings yet. I may need some advice when I get to that part.
Reading
Wendy's blog got me thinking about linings and closures for felted bags. I will be adding a lining and a snap closure in addition to the eyelets for the strap on my striped knitting bag since I want it to last FOREVER. I am really in love with it and got lots of compliments.
I did manage to find a yarn store on the island (using my yarn radar) called, of course, Island Knits. It was a tiny little place, but there were some lovely yarns and the owner was super friendly and helpful. It's a great place to pick up a little something for a vacation project and she has tons of patterns and suggestions. So I got some Sockotta Yarn from Plymouth Yarns. It's a cotton-wool-nylon blend and has a nice feel. I am using Yarn Harlot's generic sock pattern, since I haven't done socks in years and wanted to get working on it without having to do the heel turning bits too soon. I do want to try Wendy's Toe-up sock, if only to be able to try it on as I knit! The picture isn't great. but the yarn is sort of denimy, faded looking. I can't wait to wear my first pair of handknit socks.
Got to go finish unpacking and start thinking about school. Yuck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home